Distinguished Professor and Chair
Area: Metabolic Biochemistry
End Degree: Ph.D.
Office: Loree Gym 148
Effect of diet and physical activity on metabolic diseases
01:377:205 Principles of Healthy Lifestyle
01:377:415 Lifestyles of the Mediterranean (Study Abroad - Winter/Summer)
01:377:483 Topics: Exploring the Origins of the Mediterranean Diet in Crete Island (Study Abroad - Summer)
a) Lifestyle interventions for the prevention and treatment of metabolic diseases
b) Metabolic regulation after severe burn injury
c) Functional significance of brown fat activation and browning of white fat
d) Regulation of VLDL-TG metabolism
e) Obesity: Epidemiology, prevention and treatment
For a full publications record click here.
1. Sidossis LS, Porter C, Saraf MK, Børsheim E, Radhakrishnan RS, Chao T, Ali A, Chondronikola M, Mlcak R, Finnerty CC, Hawkins HK, Herndon DN. Browning of Subcutaneous White Adipose Tissue in Humans. Cell Metab. 2015 Aug 4;22(2):219-27
2. Chondronikola M, Volpi E, Børsheim E, Porter C, Annamalai P, Enerbäck S, Lidell ME, Saraf MK, Labbe SM, Hurren NM, Yfanti C, Chao T, Andersen CR, Cesani F, Hawkins H, Sidossis LS. Brown Adipose. Tissue Improves Whole Body Glucose Homeostasis and Insulin Sensitivity in Humans. Diabetes. 2014 Dec;63(12):4089-99
3. Shinoda K, Luijten IHN, Hasegawa Y, Hong H, Xue R, Sonne SiB, Chondronikola M, Kim M, Cypess AM, Nedergaard J, Sidossis LS, Tseng YH, and Kajimura S. Genetic and functional characterization of clonally-derived adult human brown adipocytes. Nat Med. 2015 Apr;21(4):389-94. PMID: 25774848
4. Chondronikola M, Volpi E, Børsheim E, Porter C, Saraf MK, Annamalai P, Yfanti C, Chao T, Wong D, Shinoda K, Labbe SM, Hurren NM, Cesani F, Kajimura S, Sidossis LS. Brown adipose tissue activation is linked to distinct systemic effects on lipid metabolism in humans. Cell Metab. 2106 (In press)
5. Sidossis LS, Kajimura S. Brown and Beige Fat in Humans: Thermogenic adipocytes that control energy and glucose homeostasis. J Clin Invest. 2015 Feb;125(2):478-86. PMID: 25642708
6. Nassis GP, Papantakou K, Skenderi K, Triantafillopoulou M, Kavouras SA, Yannakoulia M, Chrousos GP, Sidossis LS. Aerobic exercise training improves insulin sensitivity without changes in body weight, body fat, adiponectin and inflammatory markers in overweight and obese girls. Metabolism. 2005;54:1472-1479.
7. Maraki M, Angelopoulou N, Christodoulou N, Anastasiou CA,Toutouza M, Panagiotakos DB, Kavouras SA, Magkos F, Sidossis LS. Lifestyle intervention leading to moderate weight loss normalizes postprandial triacylglycerolemia despite persisting obesity. Obesity, 2011 May;19(5):968-76
8. Bellou, E., A. Siopi, M. Galani, M. Maraki, Y.E. Tsekouras, D.B. Panagiotakos, S.A. Kavouras, F. Magkos, and Sidossis LS. Acute Effects of Exercise and Calorie Restriction on Triglyceride Metabolism in Women. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013, 45:455-461