End Degree: Ph.D., Exercise Science
Office: Loree Gym 061
Exercise influences on gut microbes and intestinal health
Laboratory: Exercise and Gastrointestinal Health Laboratory
Lab Location: Institute for Food, Nutrition and Health
01:377:370 Exercise Physiology
01:377:381 Biochemistry of Exercise
01:377:456 Nutrition for Sports and Exercise
16:572:503 Exercise Biochemistry (graduate)
16:572:509 Nutrition for Sports and Exercise (graduate)
Determine the extent to which exercise manifests a unique gut microbial profile and protects the intestine, both large and small, from inflammation and disease.
1. Wisniewski, P.J., Joseph, L.B., Composto, G., Gardner, C., Lightfoot, S.A., Campbell, S.C. (2017) Exercise Reduces High-Fat Diet Induced Inflammation but Does Not Influence MUC2 Expression or Microbiota Localization. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. In review.
2. Guers, J.J., Zhang, J., Campbell, S.C., Oydanich, M., Vatner, D.E., Vatner, S.F. (2017). Disruption of Adenylyl Cyclase Type 5 Mimics Exercise Training. Basic Research in Cardiology. (I.F. – 6.008). In Review.
3. Tuazon, M.A., Campbell, S.C., Klein, D.J., Anthony, T.G., Henderson, G.C. (2017). Effects of ovarian hormones and exercise training intensity on hepatic triglyceride and whole-body metabolism. Metabolism (IF – 4.375). In review.
4. Onishi, J., Campbell, S.C., Moreau, M., Flashruit, P., Brooks, A., Zhao, X.Y., Häggblom, MM, Storch, J. (2017). Weight gain in the mouse diet induced obesity model is not dependent on shifts in the gut microbiome involving endotoxin-producing Gram negative bacteria. Microbiology (IF – 3.026). In press.
5. Rieder, R. Alderman, B.L., Campbell, S.C. (2017). Microbes and mental health: A review. Invited mini-review. Brain, Behav, Immun (IF – 6.128). Jan 25. pii: S0889-1591(17)30016-8. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2017.01.016.
6. Campbell, S.C., Wisniewski, P.J. (Jan 2017). Exercise is a novel promoter of intestinal health and microbial diversity. Invited Review. Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews (IF - 4.259) 45(1); 41-47.
7. Campbell S.C., PJ Wisniewski, M. Noji, L McGuiness, MM Häggblom, LB Joseph, SA Lightfoot, LJ Kerkhof. (2016). The Effect of Diet and Exercise on Intestinal Integrity and Microbial Diversity in Mice. PLoS One (IF-3.534). 2016 Mar 8;11(3):e0150502. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0150502.
8. Ratamess, N, Bush, J, Kang, J, Kraemer, W, Stohs, S, Nocera, V, Leise, M, Diamond, K, Campbell, S, Miller, H, Faigenbaum, A. (2016) The Effects of Supplementation with p-Synephrine Alone and in Combination with Caffeine on Metabolic, Lipolytic, and Cardiovascular Responses during Resistance Exercise. J Am Coll Nutr. DOI: 10.1080/07315724.2016.1150223. Published online August 2, 2016. (IF – 1.676).