- Honors Seminar in Health Science: Research Principles & Methods (01:377:480)
- Cannabis: From Counterculture to Cure-All (01:377:360)
The Brain-Body Link
- Characterizing physiological indicators of adaptability, including heart rate, vascular tone, stroke volume, and blood pressure variability.
- Examining how automatic physiological processes support substance use behavior and interfere with conscious efforts to change behavior.
- Exploring the link between neural processing and cardiovascular dynamics and how this link is disrupted by alcohol and other drug use behaviors.
The Cognitive, Social, and Genetic Influences of Alcohol
- Understanding the relationship of chronic drinking and cognitive impairments.
- Deconstructing the role of social support on substance use behaviors.
- Integrating genetic data to understand drinking behavior and change behavior.
Athlete Health and Neuroscience
- Understanding the prevalence and motivations for risky health behaviors (e.g., concussion symptom hiding, drug and alcohol use) among student athletes.
- Identifying objective physiological indicators of sports-related concussions to predict recovery timelines and inform return-to-activity decisions.
Awards and Achievements
GRANT K02AA025123. Deconstructing the Temporal and Multi-Level Influences of the Baroreflex Mechanism on Alcohol Use Behaviors. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA, NIH). May 2017 – May 2022. Principal Investigator.
GRANT R01AA023667. Project IMPACT: In-the-Moment Protection from Automatic Capture by Triggers. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA, NIH). Feb 2015 – Dec 2019. Principal Investigator w/ M. Bates.
GRANT CDC-RFA-DD14-1402. Mental Health and Rehabilitation FASD Practice and Implementation Center (MRPIC). Center for Disease Control, Subcontract from University of Missouri. Feb 2016 – Sept 2018. Subcontract Principal Investigator.
President. Society of Addiction Psychology (Division 50, American Psychological Association). 2018 – 2019.
Assistant Field Editor. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 2015 – present.
Grantsmanship Coach. National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN), Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Academic Network. 2015 – 2016.
Editorial Board. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 2014 – present.
Distinguished Service Award. Society of Addiction Psychology. 2013.
For a full publications record click here.
1. Eddie D, Conway FN, Alayan N, Buckman J, Bates ME. (2018) Assessing heart rate variability biofeedback as an adjunct to college recovery housing programs. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 92: 70-76.
2. White HR, Conway F, Buckman JF, Loeber R. (2018). Does Substance Use Exacerbate Escalation along Developmental Pathways of Covert and Overt Externalizing Behaviors among Young Men? Journal of Developmental and Life-Course Criminology 4(2) – 137-147.
3. Buckman JF, Vaschillo EG, Fonoberova M, Mezic I, Bates ME. (2018). The translational value of psychophysiology methods and mechanisms: Multi-level, dynamic, personalized. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs. 79(2): 229-238.
4. Olson RL, Brush CJ, Ehmann PJ, Buckman JF, Alderman BL. (2018). A history of sport-related concussion is associated with sustained deficits in conflict and error monitoring. International Journal of Psychophysiology. ePub Ahead of Print.
5. Conway F, Domingues M, Monaco R, Lesnewich LM, Ray AE, Alderman BL, Buckman JF. (2018) Concussion symptom underreporting among incoming National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I college athletes. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. ePub Ahead of Print.
6. Vaschillo EG, Vaschillo B, Buckman JF, Heiss S, Singh G, Bates ME. (2018). Early signs of cardiovascular dysregulation in young adult binge drinkers. Psychophysiology. ePub Ahead of Print.