Academic Year 2022-2023

If your questions are not answered below, please contact our undergraduate academic advisor, Lin Williams, in Loree Gymnasium Room 148, 70 Lipman Drive, Cook/Douglass Campus.  Advising hours are posted here.

About the Major

All majors earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree.  The major you declare, Exercise Science or Sport Management, will be listed on your degree.

No, we are described as a "credit intensive major" and are exempt from both SAS and SEBS requirements for a minor to complement a major.

Yes.  We have a minor in Sport Management.

Meetings for declaring a major are scheduled throughout the fall and spring semesters.  At the start of each semester, the link to register for a declaration meeting will be available and posted on the department's website.  Registering for a meeting confirms your attendance for a selected meeting date.  You must attend the meeting to declare a major.

As of Fall 2018, incoming SEBS students will not be able to declare a major in Sport Management.  Students who enrolled in SEBS Spring 2018 or earlier are eligible to declare a major in Sport Management. 

SEBS students can declare a minor in Sport Management through MyMajor system.

Students who wish to declare a major in Exercise Science or Sport Management must:
1.  Have completed a minimum of 1 semester at Rutgers University with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.

     First Semester Transfer Students are eligible to declare if they have transferred into Rutgers University with a minimum of 15 credits.

2.  Attend a departmental declaration meeting.

Most classes are open to all students.  If a course is closed or is for majors-only, it is up to the instructor to authorize a special permission number.  You can obtain a special permission number by contacting the instructor directly.  You will only be eligible if you meet all to the prerequisites and requirements and there is space available in the course.

Students follow the requirements in effect during the semester in which they first declared the major.  You may choose to convert to any new rules but then you must follow all the new requirements (i.e., you cannot choose some of the old rules and some of the new rules; your choice is all or none).


About the Minor

This 18-credit minor is designed to give students majoring in other disciplines such as business, communications, labor relations and psychology an opportunity to learn about the sport industry.  Students will be exposed to such areas as marketing, administration, law, psychology, and sociology as they relate to the business of sport.

Students from any School within Rutgers University can choose to minor in Sport Management.

Students in the Schools of Arts and Sciences (SAS) and the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences (SEBS) will use the MyMajor system to submit the minor declaration request.  Students from other schools within Rutgers can declare a minor in Sport Management only with approval of the Dean of their school.

Yes, students in the Exercise Science major can minor in Sport Management as long as elective courses do not overlap.

Course Specific

Consult Degree Navigator for courses accepted for the major and/or minor.

Yes, they are accepted and those grades, as well as grades earned at Rutgers-Newark and Rutgers-Camden, are included in your GPA.

Yes, but because the registrar's computer does not permit you to register for two different courses in the same time slot in the same semester, you must go directly to any of the Dean's advising offices or the Registrar's Office to register in person.  You cannot register for 2 mini-courses on-line.

Students should consult the University catalog for the general policy and regulations within their specific school pertaining to transfer credit for courses taken elsewhere.

The Department of Kinesiology and Health will evaluate "377" or "955" courses only.  Courses will only be evaluated when Department Evaluation Forms from a specific school are handed in with the course syllabus.

Yes, we accept on-line and hybrid courses offered at Rutgers.

Yes, the Department offers faculty led study abroad courses which count as upper level electives.  For study abroad course approval outside the major, advisor approval is required.

Yes, you must take a minimum of seven courses specifically designated as Exercise Science or Sport Management in order to be awarded the B.S. degree in Exercise Science or Sport Management at Rutgers.

The specific courses used to determine your major GPA are listed on Degree Navigator and in the major course requirement checklist.  Degree Navigator calculates the major GPA automatically for you.

Yes, as long as you have an overall GPA of 2.0 and a major GPA of 2.0.  There is one condition:  Courses which are non-377 and non-955 but are approved as electives for the major must be C or better.

For major GPA, only the highest grade for the course is included in the calculation.  For overall GPA, refer to your school's academic policy (SAS or SEBS) for repeating courses.


Yes, but you are not eligible to do so until you are a senior with a minimum of 90 credits overall, 20 credits in the major, a minimum GPA of 2.0 both overall and in the major, and have formally applied for approval from the undergraduate program director.  Approval is granted the semester before the actual internship occurs.

No.  All applied, practical experiences must be completed as part of our formal course offerings in internships and field work which must be approved prior to completing such applied work.  Retroactive approval for applied experiences is never given within Kinesiology and Health.  Approval for all internships comes from the undergraduate program director and students must meet all requirements.